ATD Florida Suncoast presents....
Talk to the Elephant:
Design for Behavior Change
Description of Presentation: Frequently, learning design is about showing people how to do the right things, but actually getting them to change their behavior can be another story. It’s particularly challenging to get people to change those intractable habits and behaviors that everyone struggles to avoid, despite the wealth of available information about better choices. This session will explore how to design with behavior change in mind.
You will examine behavior change from a number of different angles, using techniques from the fields of neuroscience, behavioral economics, behavioral psychology, persuasive technology, user experience, and even game design.
In this session, you will learn:
• How to identify and understand the barriers to behavior change
• Ways to design solutions that don’t just inform learners, but also inspire behavior change
• How to use specific models and techniques for designing a change effort
Julie Dirksen is a consultant and instructional designer with more than 20 years’ experience creating interactive e-Learning experiences for clients ranging from Fortune 500 companies to technology startups to grant-funded research initiatives. She loves brains, and games and evidence-based practice. Her MS degree is in Instructional Systems Technology from Indiana University and she’s been an adjunct faculty member at the Minneapolis College of Art and Design and an elearning Guild Guildmaster. She wrote the book Design for How People Learn and she’s happiest whenever she gets to learn something new. You can find her at www.usablelearning.com. Meeting Agenda:
5:30-6:00 PM Registration and Networking
6:00-6:30 PM Dinner and Announcements
6:30-7:30 PM Speaker Presentation7:30-8:00 PM
Our new meeting location is:
4401 North Himes Avenue
Classroom #2533 (second floor)
Tampa, FL 33614
Our meeting is being held in classroom #2533, and someone will be at the front door to direct you.
- Classroom is located on second floor.
- If using the stairs, turn right at the 2nd floor landing, classroom is down hall on the right.
- If using elevator, upon exiting, turn left, classroom is down the hall on the right.